So I'm sure everyone has heard it, it's in every movie, that arrhhh sound when someone fall off of something. Well I know arrhh doesn't quite do it justice so here's the link to the video. A compilation of movies featuring this yell. [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YDpuA90KEY]
If you're like me you probably are interested in where it originated etc. So here are some key facts. I figured I'd save you the trouble of wikipediaing it.
- First used 1951 for the film Distant Drums
- In the film one soldiers is taken and pulled under by an alligator, while marching through the everglades (the first scene with the sound in it)
- Gained popularity after being used in Star Wars and other blockbusters, TV programs and video games
- It's most commonly used when someone is shot, falls from a great height or is thrown from an explosion
- It has come to be somewhat of an inside joke between sound effects people
- The name derives from Private Wilhelm, a character in a 1953 western, The Charge At Feather River. He is shot with an arrow and after making this type of yell he immortalizes the sound effect and it is named the "Wilhelm Scream"